The Mother House of the Missionaries of Charity, located at 54A, A.J.C. Bose Road, Calcutta, is the headquarters of the international religious congregation of the Missionaries of Charity. It has been home to Mother Teresa and her sisters from February 1953 to the present day. It is here that Mother lived, prayed, worked, and guided her religious family of sisters spread across the world. It is here that her body was laid to rest.
Mother Teresa was buried on the ground floor of the Mother House on 13th September, 1997. Her tomb has become a place of pilgrimage and quiet meditation to people of all creeds. The site of the tomb is a place of profound silence and peace despite the persistent noise of passing Calcutta traffic. Mother's tomb is truly a reflection of her life, that we must be able to pray and contemplate even in the midst of noise and distractions.